Monday, September 8, 2014

Why Study Math?

Why do we have to learn this? When will I ever need this? These questions are common and actually good questions math students ask. Therefore, the last couple years I have started out the year by putting the question on them - Why do we study math? I found a neat resource that goes through what some famous mathematicians have said about the purpose of studying math, some with good motives and some bad. It also looks at how the Bible might shed light on this question for us. Obviously, the Bible does not specifically address the study of mathematics, but it does talk about its Creator and His purposes for us. The students reflect on these quotes and some Bible verses on their own and in small groups. In the process, it's fun to hear new opinions about why God would create us with the ability to do math. At the end of the unit, the students can pick from a few project ideas. One of the projects includes writing about how their opinions of math have changed or how they want their opinions to change this year. Here are a few quotes from their papers...
  • Basically, by being good in math, I want to honour God.
  • Changing the way I view math by accepting the challenge and exploring the different areas can help me understand God. Of course, I would not be able to fully comprehend His ways, but at least I would continually be amazed at His works and wonders.
  • After knowing more of God’s purpose for math in our life, I have started to like it more. One thing I did not know before was that Math actually brings us really close to God and I want to be close to God. 
  • Math has also made me God fearing to know God knows all this and it took us humans about thousands of years, which is amazing to me.
  • I have realized that math will not only help me in my future, but also help me understand God and His glory better. 

One of the other project ideas was to find math jokes and quotes. So I thought I'd just share a few of those for a good laugh :)...

  • Why was Miss Martin late for class?  
             Because she took the Rhombus!
  • Why are obtuse angles always upset?   
             Because they are never right!


The school year is off to an encouraging start. It is a joy to see some light bulbs already going off and especially to help students gain more confidence in their math skills, ultimately to learn more about our Creator and to glorify Him in the process. 


No comments:

Post a Comment