Sunday, November 10, 2013

Responders

How do I live out my faith once I leave ICSV? This question seems very apparent among our graduating Christian students, whether they express it verbally or not. This question has weighed on my heart for awhile, as I've desired to see our students have assurance of their salvation and tools to live our their faith beyond the walls of our school. A key concept - discipleship! How could this pan out beyond our classrooms? I shared this burden/idea to see more intentional discipleship happen with some of our staff, and we talked through some logistics on how we could start small groups with students. While the "plans" and "promotions" I tried didn't quite seem to work, God appropriately gets all the credit instead because there are currently 4 small groups of students now meeting weekly with teachers! The groups are called "Responders" as they respond to joining a group and more importantly to what God is teaching them! Each group is going through a book called Growing in Christ, which includes simple, yet profound truths of our faith and includes a verse to memorize each week.
I personally have the opportunity to lead a group of four girls with another teacher at school. I have been so blessed and encouraged by these girls. While they are all involved in every possible activity - Volleyball, musical, praise band, student union, and more - they make it a point to make sure we find a time to meet each week. They also have been memorizing their verses (for which they like to get stickers :)). I have learned about humility, God's unfailing love for us, and that trusting His plan is always best through this process and from these girls. Pray for great wisdom and discernment as we lead them and for God to continue to teach them and train them, so they too can go out and make disciples of all nations! 

No comments:

Post a Comment