Sunday, September 9, 2012

Don't ask me again...

The beginning of a new school year is always an exciting time to get a fresh start, to implement new ideas and hopefully improve on some old ones as well. Mostly, it is exciting to get to know new students (and this year some kids I've already taught before). One way I like to get to know them is through a math journal - yes, they have to write in math class. They use it to summarize what they've been learning, write questions about topics they still do not understand, discuss topics about God and math, and sometimes just answer fun questions I like add! This week one of the questions ended up being very insightful and offered good and fun conversations in further understanding the third culture kids I am privileged to teach and learn from everyday!

Journal Question:
What is one question you don't like people asking you?

Sample Student Answers:
Where are you from?
Are you ok?
Who do you like? - These were middle schoolers!
Why are you so tall? - I can relate in the opposite way :)
Are there kangaroos where you live? - Unfortunately, even the post office mixes up Austria and Australia!
What did you do at school today?
Can you say something in (insert native tongue - or 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th language they know)?
You are ____, ____, or ____ 's little sister, right?
Are you Chinese or Japanese? - A Korean student
How can I tell you and your twin apart?
When are you going to get your hair cut?

The students accurately decided one of my answers/questions as a math teacher would be...
Do we have to show our work?




No comments:

Post a Comment